Can I audit an ISYE course?

No, we do not allow students to audit ISYE courses. Seats in ISYE courses must be reserved for students who are using the courses to satisfy degree requirements.

Can I take an ISYE course pass/fail?

Generally, no. All courses used to satisfy MS degree requirements must be taken on a letter-grade basis. If you are taking an ISYE course in excess of the degree (i.e. not counting towards any requirements), then you may request to change the grade mode to pass/fail AFTER Phase II registration has ended. This must be done before the Change of Grade Mode deadline published on the Registrar's Academic Calendar. Please contact the Academic Office or your program advisor if you have questions about this process.

How do I obtain a permit for a non-ISyE course?

ISyE personnel cannot grant permits for non-ISyE courses; each Georgia Tech School controls permits and waitlists for its courses.  Please see the Departmental Contact list from the Registrar's Registration website:   

How do I obtain a permit to register for Special Problems?

See the ISyE Graduate Student Handbook for the process regarding Special Problems and Research Courses.

Note: Registration for ISyE 8900 and 8901 is by permit only. Students must submit a request form no later than Wednesday of the final week of course registration.

Permit requests are approved first by the faculty advisor/instructor, and second by the Director. Once the request is approved by both parties, a permit will be issued.

Letter-graded course requests are limited to 3 credit-hours, and must include a course syllabus and a document describing the course grading procedure.

How does Cross-Registration work?

The application for students interested in cross-registration can be found here:  Graduate students should obtain prior approval from their faculty program advisor to ensure the cross-registration course will count toward their degree. 

Please note there is a separate cover sheet required for Emory cross-registration (  

I am trying to register, but keep seeing a Major Restriction error. How do I get a permit?

We do not grant permits to non-ISyE MS majors.  Major restrictions will lift the last Wednesday of Phase II registration.  If a course is full, please add to the waitlist.

Moreover, students should review OSCAR's Schedule of Classes for any course restrictions/comments.


What is your policy on overloads?

We do not overload.  If a course is full, please add to the waitlist. Degree candidates and Senior PhD students are given priority on the waitlist.