BSIE students can apply for the BS/MS degree in IE, OR, and Health Systems and receive the following benefits:

  • Streamlined application process;
  • Early conditional admissions decision for an ISyE MS program;
  • Waiver of the GRE.

To apply, please submit the BS/MS application through the Office of Graduate Studies.

The approval of the BS/MS application is not a guaranteed admission to the MS degree program but instead an indication that a student will be admitted contingent upon formal approval by the Office of Graduate Studies during the regular application cycle for the year of matriculation.

Students approved for the program will meet with MS program advisors and members of the Academic Office to plan for the MS degree, taking advantage of the following options when appropriate:

  • Double-counting of up to six credits between the BSIE and the MS, subject to MS program approval, a cumulative 3.5 GPA upon graduation with the BSIE, and completion of the MS within two years of the BS graduation.
  • Counting of up to six additional credits toward the MS degree if the credits are taken while pursuing the BSIE and are in excess of the 128-credit BSIE requirement. (In other words, the courses must be "fallthrough" courses in DegreeWorks and cannot satisfy any BSIE requirement, including free electives.)

Dates/Deadlines/FAQ for IE, OR, STAT, HS, or CSE:

  • When do I submit the application for the BS/MS program?
    • When you have completed or are currently enrolled in ISYE 3133 and 3232
  • When are decisions made on the BS/MS program applications?
    • Fall start: by November 1st of the previous year
      Spring start: by July 1st of the previous year
  • Which classes do I double-count?
    • This varies widely and depends on which MS degree you are pursuing. For most degrees, you can double-count 4000-level ISyE concentration electives as courses for the MS, so you don't need to change your BSIE course plan to pursue this option. Please consult with the Faculty Advisor for your MS program or ISyE's Director of Student Services with specific questions about double-counting.
  • How do I register for graduate-level courses to take in excess of the BSIE (up to 6 credits) while still an undergraduate?
    • Once your application has been approved, please consult with the Director of Student Services and/or the Faculty Advisor for your MS program to determine the best courses to take and to receive permits for those courses.


  • Visit to determine the MS degree you would like to pursue.
  • Schedule a meeting with the Faculty Advisor for your MS program and/or ISyE's Director of Student Services to discuss your BS/MS plan.
  • Once you are taking or have completed ISYE 3133 and/or ISYE 3232, submit an application for the BS/MS program through
  • If your application is approved, contact the Academic Office for permits for graduate-level courses to take during your BSIE program.