Starting Semester: Fall 2022
Assigned: Yes
Location: Atlanta

UPS/Coyote Logistics

Client Profile

Coyote Logistics is a leading global third-party logistics provider that matches more than 10,000 shipments every day. Founded in 2006, Coyote was created with one goal in mind: create a better service experience in the transportation industry. Our commitment to providing visibility and reliability to our customers separated us from other providers, raising industry standards for both service metrics and customer satisfaction. North American website: www.coyote.com European website: www.coyotelogistics.com We became a UPS company in 2015, adding UPS asset utilization, air & ocean freight forwarding, and more to our expanding portfolio of services. As the supply chain market adapts to match higher customer expectations and evolving technologies, so do we. Our fundamental mission remains the same: to do the right thing, for every customer and every opportunity no matter the market condition. - 70,000 network carriers - 10,000 loads per day - 14,000 valued shippers - 3,000 employees - 20 offices worldwide

Project Description

Coyote Logistics, a UPS company, brokers thousands of loads for companies of all sizes. There are primarily 2 types of truck loads that companies use to move their freight. Full Truck Load (FTL) and Less Than Truck Load (LTL). FTL is used by large companies that move consistent freight all over the country on a daily basis (Coca-Cola) and they have enough freight going to a destination that justifies a large percentage of the available square footage of a trailer. LTL is used my smaller companies or less frequent shippers. They purchase only the space needed on a shared trailer that consolidates all similar customers to create a full truck load (Walgreens to smaller city markets). Problem Statement: Trailers for FTL shipments are not always 100% Full and utilized. This presents under-utilized trailers for full cost transportation. For example, let's say that Coca-Cola has a weekly shipment from Michigan to South Carolina. They have already purchased and contracted for a UPS/Coyote full trailer for that freight move. But on the day the load is built, they only utilized 70% of the trailer leaving 30% empty. At that same time, there is a small company, nearby in Michigan that needs 3 pallets of dog food moved from Michigan to South Carolina. It would make good economic sense for Coca-Cola to sell some or all of their available 30% of space to the dog food company. In order for this to happen, there would need to be a consolidation point/warehouse somewhere along the way where Coca-Cola can drop off the dog food and it could be picked up and delivered. A good analogy would be looking at our highway system as a railroad network. Where is the greatest need for tracks and where should I build stations for freight to get on and off the train (trailers) The Client Need: Using real customer data from past FTL and LTL shipments, we would be looking for the following outputs from the design team: The most prolific transportation lanes for both FTL and LTL freight traffic. (Railroad Tracks) Recommended locations for consolidation points (Railroad stations)


Process Improvement, transportation flows and terminology, data analysis, problem solving, and creative thinking