Established originally as a Program at Georgia Tech in 1924, becoming a School in 1945, the Stewart School of Industrial & Systems Engineering (ISyE) is the largest academic program of its kind in the United States. With nearly 60 tenure-track faculty, ISyE is able to support not only a broad spectrum of academic concentrations but, importantly, several that have achieved world-class rank. Though the Stewart School functions administratively as a single cohesive unit, some of our sub-disciplines or academic specialties are so large and concentrated, they could be legitimately viewed as academic departments in their own right.
H. Milton Stewart has a long history of philanthropy at Georgia Tech. He established the H. Milton Stewart Endowment Fund for ISyE Programs in 1995 and the H. Milton and Carolyn J. Stewart School Chair in ISyE in 1999. He has supported scholarships for women students coming to Georgia Tech from Habersham High School.
Stewart is retired chairman and CEO of Standard Group Inc., a company he established in 1987 with his sister, Kay Swanson, in Cornelia, Georgia. In addition to receiving his bachelor's degree in Industrial Engineering from Georgia Tech in 1961, Stewart later went on to receive his MBA from Emory University. Stewart is a trustee emeritus of the Georgia Tech Foundation, emeritus member and former chairman of the ISyE Advisory Board, former member of the College of Engineering Advisory Board, and a former president, trustee, and Executive Committee member of the Georgia Tech Alumni Association.